The Community College of City University (CCCU) offers a wide range of internationally recognized language tests and/or preparatory courses through its Centre for Lifelong Learning. These are Putonghua, Korean, French, Spanish, Japanese and English. All language assessments are recognized by the education authorities in their respective countries. The main features of the various language assessment tests are highlighted. We also offer courses preparing students for these proficiency tests.
National Putonghua Proficiency Test (PSC) [有关详情]/[Details]
- See a related video
- Approved and governed by the State Language Commission, Ministry of Education.
- Since 2000 this has become the statutory test of Putonghua competence by its inclusion in PRC Laws.
- Recognized as the standard test for Putonghua Proficiency. Attainment of Level 2 is required to qualify as an instructor in Chinese and Level 3 as a civil servant on the mainland..
- Over 30 million Mainlanders and 70,000 Hong Kong residents have taken the test.
- In the test, candidates’ ability in reading, speaking and passage recital is evaluated.
- Test is graded according to 6 grades at 3 different levels. Grade A Level 1 is the highest score.
Korean Language Ability Test (KLAT) [有关详情]/[Details]
- KLAT is approved by the Korean Educational Testing Service, a leading authority on the Korean language and culture.
- Internationally recognized by academic institutions and companies.
- KLAT qualification is recognized by the Ministry of Justice of Korea. Holders are eligible for employment in Korean companies.
- A total of about 500 centres in 80 different countries provide the KLAT assessment.
- Assesses the ability of non-native speakers of Korean for study and the workplace.
- The assessment includes testing one’s ability to communicate in Korean in most situations.
- For further details of this test, please visit http://www.kets.or.kr/
Test de Connaissance du Français (TCF) [有关详情]/[Details]
- Commissioned by the Education Ministry in France.
- Recognized by academic institutions in France and around the world.
- Assesses non-native speakers’ ability in French for social life, study and the workplace.
- Test results provide a precise benchmark of candidates' language ability according to the Council of Europe’s six proficiency levels (A1 to C2) as defined in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Assesses French language skills through listening and reading, comprehension, speaking and writing skills.
- For further details of this test, please visit http://www.ciep.fr/en/tcf
Diploma de Español Lengua Extranjera (DELE) [有关详情]/[Details]
- DELE Preparatory Courses [download info] [download application form]
- Over 100,000 people have taken DELE exams in 290 countries.
- Recognized by official institutions of Spanish-speaking countries and corporations, chambers of commerce and educational institutions in Europe and the United States.
- Officially issued by the Instituto Cervantes on behalf of Spain’s Ministry of Education, to certify competence of non-native Spanish speakers.
- Assesses candidates’ ability to read, write, speak and understand Spanish.
- For further details of this test, please visit http://diplomas.cervantes.es
Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
(Note: CCCU is not a testing centre of JLPT but we offer short courses specially designed to prepare students to take the test at various levels. For details of the preparatory courses, please visit the relevant website)
- Held in July and December, and administered by the Japan Foundation (a governmental organization). In Hong Kong, it is offered through the Society of Japanese Language Education, Hong Kong (http://www.japanese-edu.org.hk/index.htm)
- Internationally recognized to assess proficiency in Japanese. Test levels range from N1 (the highest level) to N5.
- Held in 238 cities in 62 countries/regions and taken by over 610,000 people worldwide in 2011. In 2011 alone, some 14,500 people took the JLPT in Hong Kong.
- Consists of “Vocabulary and Grammar”, “Reading” and “Listening” sections.
- For further details of this test, visit http://www.jlpt.jp/index.html
- CCCU offers preparatory courses for the test through its Centre for Lifelong Learning. The courses provide practical training and useful tips for people who intend to take the test. The main focus is placed on grammar exercises and listening/reading comprehension tasks. [download N1 info] [download N2 info][download application form]
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
(Note: CCCU is not a testing centre of IELTS, but we offer short courses specially designed to prepare candidates to achieve higher scores. For details of the preparatory courses, please visit the relevant website)
- IELTS is an internationally recognized English-language proficiency assessment which tests the four language skills – listening, reading, writing and speaking.
- Over the past twenty years, IELTS has grown to become a highly accurate and widely accepted measurement of a candidate’s real-life ability to communicate in English for education, immigration and professional purposes.
- IELTS scores are recognized and accepted by over 6000 organizations globally and are widely used as part of the admissions test for almost all academic institutions in the UK, Ireland, Australia and New Zealand.
- More recently, IELTS has been growing in popularity in North America. It is accepted by over 2000 academic institutions, including all the Ivy League schools in the US.
- IELTS is now offered up to four times a month in over 125 countries, making it one of the most widely available English language tests in the world. For more information on IELTS, please refer to the website: http://www.ielts.org
- Our CCCU preparatory course offers important fundamental skills development practice, effective testing strategies and constructive feedback to enhance your language proficiency and academic abilities. [download info 1] [download info 2] [download application form]
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL® iBT)
(Note: CCCU is not a testing centre of TOEFL, but we offer short courses specially designed to prepare test candidates to achieve higher scores. For details of the preparatory courses, please visit the relevant website)
- TOEFL® is a well respected and recognized measurement of your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills in English.
- TOEFL® is the most widely accepted English-language test in the world.
- TOEFL® is recognized and accepted by over 6000 institutions in more than 130 countries, including the top colleges and universities in the U.S., Canada, U.K., and Australia.
- TOEFL® offers greater flexibility on where, when and how often you can take the test. With over 4300 testing centres worldwide, it is convenient and easy. In Hong Kong, the test is administered almost weekly. Simply register for the test online at http://www.ets.org
- Our CCCU preparatory courses offer more practical skills development, test strategies and constructive feedback to enhance your language proficiency and academic abilities.
- Our CCCU preparatory courses offer both intensive test practice courses and extended skills development courses to suit learners at different levels.
Schedule of Proficiency Tests 2013-2014
|Proficiency Test 语文水平测试||Date 日期|
|National Putonghua Proficiency Test
30 November - 9 December 2013； April to May 2014
|Korean Language Ability Test
October 2013; April & October 2014
|Test de Français International
|Diploma de Español Lengua Extranjera
August & November 2013; May, August & November 2014
|Japanese-Language Proficiency Test
July & December 2013; July & December 2014
Offered 30 – 40 times a year at authorized test centres
Offered several times a month by authorized test agents