Purpose of this Web Site
This web site contains information about the colleges, departments, college members and their professional expertise at the City University of Hong Kong. The information was compiled by the Technology Transfer Office for people to identify the human and physical resources available at the City University of Hong Kong. Information can be located by keyword search or by browsing the hyperlinks.
The homepage of the site brings you to the search engine automatically, or you can click on the "keywords" button on the right hand side of the window anytime to invoke the search engine.
In the "Enter a query" box, you can enter a set of keywords and combine the keywords with logical operators to precisely specify what you want to find. You can use double quotes to specify phrases. Some illustrative queries are shown below.
Three types of Boolean operations are supported:
|| Remarks |
||Computer & Mathematics
||Pages must contain both Computer and Mathematics|
||Computer | Mathematics
||Pages may contain either Computer or Mathematics|
||| is the default operator; this query is the same as Computer | Mathematics|
||Computer & !Mathematics
||Pages must contain Computer but not Mathematics|
||Since | is the default operator, pages which contain Humanity or don't contain Engineering are returned|
||Financial Engineering must appear as a phrase in the document|
You can use brackets to build complex queries. For example, the query
Head & ( Electronic | Electrical )
returns pages containing Head and either Electronic or Electrical, i.e., those referring to the Head of either the Electronic Engineering or Electrical Engineering department.
You can select in the "Choose a dept" box the department to which your search is to be applied. The default is "Any", meaning that the search will apply to all departments.
You can further specify the search to be applied to a particular field by checking the boxes under "Select fields". For instance, if you want to find a college member with last name "To", you can check the Name box. If you select all the boxes, which is the default, you will find a lot of pages since "To" is a common word in English.
- A sequence of keywords without any logical operators or double quotes is treated as connected by logical OR. E.g., finance information business will return pages containing finance, information or business. On the other hand, "finance information business" will be treated as a phrase and only return pages containing all three words appearing in the specified order.
- Upper and lower-case letters are treated the same. Department is the same as department.
- Plurals are converted to singular forms. Engineer will match engineers as well.
- The result of a search is sorted by department and within each department by college names. A department profile, if retrieved by the query, is always placed in front of the college members of the same department.
Browse by Service
- Click the Service Catalog on the right hand side to display a list of professional services offered by the college members.
- Click a particular professional service to bring up a list of departments offering the service.
- Click on a department to display the professional expertise offered by the college members of the department.
- Click on the professional expertise that you are interested in to display a list of college members with that expertise.
- Finally, click on the college name to display the full profile of the college member.
Browse by Department
- Click the Department Catalog on the right hand side to display a list of colleges at City University and a link to other administrative and academic support offices.
- Click on a college name to display a list of departments within that college.
- Click on a department name to display a list of college members in the department and a department profile.
- Finally, click on a college member's name to display the full profile of the college member.